I’m excited to be one of the mentors in this year’s #PitProm pitch contest which will pit pitches from unagented science fiction and fantasy writers against each other for a chance to be mentored by industry pros for a week until pitches are posted on the #PitProm website for agents and editors to see.
What you’ll need to enter:
a 140-character Twitter pitch, including the #PitProm hashtag
the first 10 pages of your completed and edited manuscript
The submissions window opens on August 24th at midnight CST and closes on August 25th at midnight. Of the first 200 entries, 10 fantasy and 10 science fiction pitches will be chosen by our Royal Advisors, Eli Celata (Court Fantasy) and Kadee Carder (Court Science Fiction). Mentors then pick their two favorite pitches and will mentor writers for one week until revised pitches, queries, and first ten pages will be posted on the #PitProm website. Agents and editors will vote for their favorite pitches, which will be crowned #PitProm King/Queen.
Find more info on the #PitProm website and follow the hashtag on Twitter!
I’m super stoked to be part of Court Sci-Fi and here are some of the top things on my wishlist in no particular order:
- Queer main characters and #ownvoices stories
- An intersectional and diverse cast of characters
- Romance? Yes, please! The more complicated, the better!
- I’m a huge fan of enemies to lovers and found families!
- Give me the voicey things!
And finally, here’s some science fiction I really love.
- Taya Huff’s CONFEDERATION series
- Kameron Hurley’s GOD’S WAR series
- Jeff Somers’ AVERY CATES series
- Mira Grant’s NEWSFLESH series
- Nnedi Okorafor’s BINTI novellas
- Becky Chambers’ THE LONG WAY TO A SMALL, ANGRY PLANET
- Cindy Pon’s WANT
- Doctor Who
- The Expanse
- Battlestar Galactica
- Cowboy Bebop
- Star Wars (duh! And yes, I may be starting something here, but The Force Awakens is my favorite. So. Much. Love.)
- Star Trek (also include among TV, but yes, it’s okay to like both!)
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Titan A. E.
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- The Matrix
So, yes, if your pitch fits my wishlist or is reminiscent of ideas or characters in any of my favorite SF, I’d love to see it. I’m super excited to see tons of great pitches coming in, so be sure to keep up with the #PitProm hashtag and let me know if you have any questions.
Join the party and may the best Court win!